Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag is not exploring the possibility of signing PSV midfielder Ibrahim Sangare, according to Dutch outlet Algemeen Dagblad.
The Red Devils are keen on pursuing a defensive midfielder this summer, and Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong is obviously the prime target with a transfer fee already agreed.
However, United still need to agree personal terms with the Netherlands star. The 25-year-old has yet to be convinced to leave Barcelona with his priority being Champions League football.
Amidst this, there has been speculation that United are in contact with PSV for Sangare, but Algemeen Dagblad have come out to dismiss the possibility of United signing him.
According to the Dutch outlet, there have been no offers from British clubs for Sangare. It is further specified that Ten Hag ‘does not see him as a reinforcement for now’.
Meanwhile, Sangare will only be sold for his €37 million release clause this summer. PSV are hopeful of not only keeping him, but also committing him to a new deal.
Man Utd not looking beyond De Jong for number six role
United have spent the past couple of months negotiating for De Jong, and they recently reached an agreement with the Blaugrana. They still need to persuade De Jong, but are prepared to play the long game.
The Dutchman does not plan to leave the Catalan giants at the moment, but may eventually decide to move on. He would not want to stay at a club that is actively trying to push him through the exit door.
This is where United may aim to capitalise and agree personal terms. De Jong recently travelled with Barcelona for their US pre-season tour, and United may have to wait until August to sign him.
Sangare would also be a quality acquisition for United with his strong tackling and intercepting skills, but Ten Hag is said to be looking for players with more technical ability on the ball.
Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez will bring exactly that to the fold, and De Jong is another player that can improve the quality of distribution from his preferred deep-lying midfield role.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Opinion: Glazers’ £17 million Adrien Rabiot transfer disaster-class highlights everything wrong at Manchester United
- Manchester United offered a chance to sign Alvaro Morata
- Manchester United pull out of Marko Arnautovic deal
- Man Utd register interest in Cody Gakpo, player keen on transfer
- Wes Brown impressed by Lisandro Martínez’s Manchester United debut
- Rio Ferdinand urges Man Utd to re-sign Danny Welbeck as back-up striker
- Manchester United now have great chance to sign ‘incredible’ Dan-Axel Zagadou for absolutely nothing
- Man Utd can sign Sergej Milinkovic-Savic for £50m this summer
- Manchester United handed another transfer blow as Benjamin Sesko’s future is decided
- Man Utd identify Guido Rodriguez as alternative to Adrien Rabiot