Manchester United would be a very good choice for Ajax striker Brian Brobbey this summer, according to De Telegraaf journalist Mike Verweij.
The Dutchman was handed his debut by manager Erik ten Hag at Ajax, but he went on join to Leipzig on a free transfer in the summer of 2021.
The 21-year-old returned to the club on loan in January 2022 and scored seven goals in 12 league games as they won the Eredivisie title.
Brobbey was linked with a reunion with Ten Hag after his appointment at United. The manager was keen on signing him, but the striker made the decision to return to Amsterdam on a permanent deal.
Ajax have had a dismal 2023/24 season after a horrendous start, but Brobbey has still been impressive with a tally of 12 goals and four assists from 24 appearances for the club.
The reputed journalist said that Brobbey does not want to go to the absolute top after leaving Ajax. This would make United a ‘very good’ choice and a sensible one in his opinion.
Verweij added that the striker would be open to joining a club like Real Madrid, but in his mind, he has the notion that a move to the absolute top may not be a very good idea yet.
He said: “After Ajax, Brobbey does not want to go to the absolute top, but just below the top. Then Manchester United would be a very good one at the moment.”
“That also seems very sensible to me. If a club like Real Madrid were to come, I do think he would say yes, but he has it in his head that the absolute top might not be a very good idea yet.”
Man Utd must not be a stepping stone for any striker
Brobbey previously confirmed that Ten Hag was in contact with him before his return to Ajax.
The Red Devils head coach asked him whether he would be interested in joining United, but the striker had already made his mind up to rejoin his hometown club after a difficult spell in the Bundesliga.
He is most likely to pursue a bigger challenge at the end of this season. Ten Hag is looking at him but in our opinion, the club should not act as a stepping stone for a player to join Real Madrid for example.
Unless Brobbey is fully committed to United for the long-term, the club should avoid an approach. He would be a quality acquisition to provide competition to Rasmus Hojlund up front for many seasons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag sends clear warning to Antony with last-gasp substitution vs Fulham
- Antonio Valencia slams Manchester United’s performance against Fulham
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe wants to sign Luton Town’s Ross Barkley to replace Casemiro
- Maguire impresses in Manchester United’s disappointing 2-1 defeat against Fulham
- Bruno Fernandes must step up for Man Utd in Champions League pursuit
- Andre Onana impresses for Man Utd in disappointing Fulham defeat
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Fulham, Forson starts up front
- Omari Forson set for full Premier League debut after Rasmus Hojlund injury blow
- Man Utd without seven players for Fulham game after fresh injury blow