Dutch journalist Marcel van der Kraan is absolutely convinced that Ajax defender Jurrien Timber will reunite with manager Erik ten Hag at Manchester United.
The Red Devils are pursuing a new central defender this summer, and it has been frequently claimed that Timber is the number one transfer target for Ten Hag.
Ten Hag played a key role in the 20-year-old breaking through the Ajax youth ranks. He has now urged United’s hierarchy to secure his services this summer.
Talks are already underway between United and Ajax over a transfer, and Van der Kraan is pretty convinced that Timber has already made his mind up to join Ten Hag.
He told TalkSPORT: “I’m absolutely convinced he’s going to get Timber in at Manchester United. I know the player said he has to think about leaving Ajax. I think it was all political talk. I think he’s already made his mind up and he will join Ten Hag.”
Timber has made excellent progress over the past two years at Ajax. He has developed into a superb all-round central defender, impressing with multiple attributes.
The Dutchman averaged 2.1 tackles and 1.5 interceptions in all competitions last season. He was also efficient with his distribution, completely 92 per cent of his passes.
Meanwhile, he has been more than decent in the air despite not being the tallest of defenders at 179cm. The centre-back won over one aerial duel per game last term.
At 20, Timber still has plenty of room for development, and no one will know better about his strengths and weaknesses than Ten Hag, who has managed him in this phase.
A reunion appears a no-brainer, but it remains to be seen whether United can lower the reported €50 million asking price as they need to spend in several key positions.
The Red Devils previously signed midfielder Donny van de Beek from Ajax for €39m. They will be hoping to negotiate a similar sum for Timber, who is still relatively inexperienced.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest