Striker Erling Haaland has continued to be linked with Manchester United and Real Madrid over the past few months, but Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joaching Watzke believes that the Norwegian international will continue to stick with the club. Haaland has been a target for United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer since the 2020 January transfer window, but at the time, the 19-year-old had signed a deal with Dortmund from RB Salzburg, instead.
Haaland has proven why some of the best clubs in the world are interested in him at this young age, as his extraordinary form continued at Dortmund. But the German club has struggled this season, currently placed at the 4th position with 25 points in 14 games, and now Haaland is surrounded by transfer rumours.
There have been reports of a release clause in Haaland’s contract that will allow him to leave Dortmund for £68 million in 2022 summer transfer window. But Watzke believes that Haaland should continue to work on his development at Dortmund, instead of moving to bigger clubs at an young age.
“I don’t think that will happen,” he told Kicker. “Erling and his advisor Mino Raiola know what they have in us.”
“Lewandowski gave himself the time to mature into an absolute world-class player in Dortmund.
“You won’t be able to do that in a year. Because it is clear that if Erling should leave us at some point, then he will only go to an even bigger club, and so many are not considered.
“If you join a club like — just for an example — Real Madrid, you have to be world-class,” he signed off.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin