Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot has withdrawn from Portugal’s squad following talks with manager Roberto Martinez.
He will miss the upcoming 2024 European Championship qualifiers against Liechtenstein and Iceland.
Man United confirmed on their official website that Dalot had been released for ‘personal reasons’. FC Porto’s Joao Mario has subsequently replaced the 24-year-old.
Earlier today, Rasmus Hojlund and Christian Eriksen withdrew from the Denmark squad due to injuries.
Dalot has been a key player for Erik ten Hag, featuring 17 times this season.
Injuries to Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia paved the way for him to occupy the left-back spot.
Ten Hag switched him to his favoured right flank when Aaron Wan-Bissaka suffered an injury.
He has been a great asset going forward, taking attacking positions and trying to deliver crosses into the box.
However, he has struggled in defending and cost United some crucial goals.
The Portugal International was at fault for one of the four goals Man United conceded in their 4-3 loss to FC Copenhagen.
He also lost his man in United’s 3-0 loss to Newcastle United in the League Cup.
With the front line struggling to find the back of the net, United cannot afford to gift goals by making avoidable mistakes.
Wan-Bissaka has returned to the squad, which will increase competition for places, and Dalot must be mindful of that.
The former Crystal Palace man displaced him for the starting right-back role in the second half of the previous campaign.
If Dalot does not improve, he may fall behind Wan-Bissaka again.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin