Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot delivered a quality performance as the club secured back-to-back wins in the Premier League.
The Red Devils faced Sheffield United on the road last evening. The first half was quite even between the clubs before Scott McTominay opened the scoring for United.
However, they could not maintain their lead. For the sixth occasion this season, United managed to surrender their advantage within six minutes of finding the net.
McTominay’s handball gifted a penalty for the hosts to convert.
United were twice denied by the woodwork at 1-1, but they secured three points in the end after a powerful strike from the edge of the box from Dalot in the 77th minute.
The Portuguese had an indifferent start where he was guilty of losing possession in either half, but he improved after the break and made the difference for United.
Aside from his match-winning goal, the €40 million-rated star had 73 touches with 37 accurate passes. He won six ground and aerial duels and completed 100 per cent of his take-ons (2/2).
The Red Devils were not at their best at Bramall Lane yesterday, but they picked up a valuable win to maintain their five point deficit to the Champions League positions.
The club have won successive league games and the focus will now turn to Tuesday’s Champions League group stage clash against Copenhagen at home which is a must-win.
United are on zero points after their opening two group games and can’t afford to drop more points in midweek. It should be a routine win for them with home advantage.
This will be followed by the first Manchester derby of the season at Old Trafford next weekend. United need to go into the Manchester City clash in the best frame of mind.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- Erik ten Hag must pair Sofyan Amrabat with Kobbie Mainoo in midfield vs Bayern
- ‘3-0 looks like a good result’: Gary Neville reacts after Man Utd’s loss to Bournemouth
- Manchester United eyeing RB Leipzig forward Lois Openda ahead of January transfer window
- Erik ten Hag must start Raphael Varane in must-win UCL game vs Bayern
- Manchester United monitoring Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips ahead of potential move, Erik ten Hag a huge fan
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action