Manchester United right-back Diogo Dalot produced an impressive performance during the club’s 3-2 friendly defeat to Borussia Dortmund.
The Red Devils ended their US pre-season tour with another loss, but they were some positives to take away from the game for manager Erik ten Hag.
Dalot was reinstated into the starting XI ahead of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, and he delivered a splendid display before being replaced after the hour mark.
The Portuguese scored the opening goal with a stunning curling effort from the edge of the box.
Aside from this, he completed 31 out of his 34 passes with an accuracy of 91 per cent.
He delivered three long balls while also winning four duels and two tackles for United.
Dalot knocking on Ten Hag’s door for starting spot
Wan-Bissaka has been Ten Hag’s starting right-back for most of pre-season, but he decided to rotate last night. Dalot grabbed his opportunity with a fine performance.
He was replaced by Wan-Bissaka in the 61st minute, but the 25-year-old was poor with his cameo. He did not contest any duel and was responsible for Dortmund’s winner.
The Crystal Palace graduate gifted possession straight to Marco Reus with a lame pass in the final third, and it was costly as Youssoufa Moukoko made it 3-2 for Dortmund.
United’s next friendly will be against RC Lens at Old Trafford on Saturday. They face Athletic Bilbao in Dublin 24 hours later. In our view, Ten Hag should pick his best XI for the home game.
Dalot should be a strong candidate to start over Wan-Bissaka after his top showing against Dortmund.
The Portuguese star has a point to prove at the Red Devils, having seen his playing time drastically reduce during the second half of the previous campaign.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions