Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot wants to prolong his stay with the club amid interest from Barcelona, according to Manchester Evening News.
The Portuguese has been a pivotal player under manager Erik ten Hag this term and he has played in each of the club’s 13 games in all competitions.
He has made the right-back position his own thus far. Aaron Wan-Bissaka, who is currently the back-up option, has been limited to only four minutes.
Dalot’s present contract with United expires in June 2023, but the club have a clause to extend his stay for another year which is expected to be triggered.
It is now reported that the 23-year-old wants to continue at Old Trafford amid interest from Barcelona, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus and Roma.
However, United are yet to open negotiations over a new and improved deal.
United should enter talks over contract renewal soon
Dalot has been a mainstay from the right-back position since the back end of last season. After Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s exit, he became an undisputed starter under interim boss Ralf Rangnick.
His performances were not overly exceptional last campaign, but the Portuguese has been transformed into a more consistent player under the guidance of Ten Hag.
Goal recently described him as an ‘undroppable‘ player and that is definitely the case at the moment with Ten Hag reluctant to rely on anyone else for the right-back spot.
United should look to commit him to a new deal as soon as possible. He is currently one of the lowest earners at £25,000-a-week. It would not cost a fortune to keep him.
Ten Hag may want an upgrade in future with a more attack-minded right-back, but competition for places is necessary for any team that wants to compete for regular trophies.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Spotrac.com
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed
- Man Utd could return for Barcelona star Ansu Fati as Ten Hag eyes another left winger
- Man Utd closely following Sporting defender Goncalo Inacio