Manchester United have had an interesting start to the 2022/23 Premier League campaign.
They lost their opening two games of the season, but have since won four games on the bounce.
This has coincided with a significant improvement in player performances, and Diogo Dalot has been one of those, who has stepped up to make the right-back position his own.
Right from pre-season, Dalot was the regular starting right-back under manager Erik ten Hag, and the Portuguese has certainly made the most of his opportunities thus far.
In the first six games of the new league campaign, his statistics are definitely impressive with the most tackles won (14), most interceptions (9) alongside most touches (408).
Aside from this, he has the joint-most ball recoveries (39), joint-most chances created (10) and joint-most aerial duels won (12).
The likes of Lisandro Martinez and Tyrell Malacia have also excelled with their strong tackling and tenacity this term, but Dalot has been doing plenty of good to fare better than them.
The 23-year-old’s performances have probably gone slightly off the radar with the renewed solidity at the back and hopefully, he can maintain his good form over the entire season.
Dalot’s main weakness last term was the lack of goal contributions, but he seems to be working on the same. He provided a peach of a cross for Bruno Fernandes’ winner at Southampton.
Apart from his assist, he has averaged nearly one cross per game while delivering 1.7 key passes.
There was much talk over the summer about signing a new starting right-back but as things stand, any arrival won’t have a straightforward path with Dalot blossoming under Ten Hag’s system.
Stats from Squawka.com and WhoScored.com
- Erik ten Hag reveals his plans for Anthony Martial after injury comeback
- Three Man Utd stars with a big point to prove against Omonia
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Omonia, Ronaldo and Martial start
- Manchester United’s Five Greatest European Performances
- Man Utd include Iqbal and Garnacho in 22-man squad for Omonia clash
- Four Man Utd stars miss training ahead of Omonia Nicosia clash
- Man Utd should sign Goncalo Ramos as Cristiano Ronaldo’s replacement in January
- Europa League Preview: Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United
- Saudi PIF were offered 30% stake in Man Utd before Newcastle takeover – The Athletic
- Omonia Nicosia vs Manchester United: Europa League preview, team news & predicted starting XI