Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot is firmly in the plans of incoming manager Erik ten Hag next season, Portuguese outlet O Jogo (today’s edition, page 25) reports.
The Portuguese started the current campaign as the back-up right-back to Aaron Wan-Bissaka. He was a regular on the bench under then-manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
However, his fortunes changed with Solskjaer’s dismissal in November. Under interim boss Ralf Rangnick, he has been the preferred choice on the right side of defence.
It is now reported that Dalot is firmly in the plans of Ten Hag, who trusts him. His ability to play in both full-back positions and offensive propensity have been highlighted.
Dalot has made the right-back position his own in recent months with Rangnick reluctant to play Wan-Bissaka due to his limited impact in the final third of the pitch.
Under Ten Hag, the Red Devils are bound to play a similar brand of football. The Dutch tactician places emphasis on regular high pressing and prefers his full-backs overlapping.
This should keep Dalot in good stead next season, but there is still plenty of room for improvement. The £16.2 million-rated star is not the best when it comes to making crosses.
He has also not made a direct goal contribution this campaign. This could still urge Ten Hag to pursue another quality right-back. The club have been linked with Nordi Mukiele lately.
Wan-Bissaka would most certainly head for the exit door if there is a new summer signing. The England star has been linked with the likes of Atletico Madrid and Roma in recent weeks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United news: Nemanja Matic fires back at Roy Keane and defends Harry Maguire
- Manchester United stars shine as Portugal stun Czech Republic 4-0 in the Nations League
- Manchester United star will miss Ukraine clash after picking up second booking in Scotland’s Nations League win
- Manchester United star defends his place in England team after Nations League defeat to Italy
- Ronald Koeman believes Manchester United need to give Ten Hag time to guide them to success
- Manchester United football director makes youth player promise
- Eriksen shines but will he stay fit through Man United’s busy October?
- Gakpo has been on a great run of form – have Man United missed out?
- Christian Eriksen named Manchester United’s Player of the Month for September
- Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale before retiring, claims Patrice Evra