Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot continued his fine run of form with another top Premier League performance against West Ham United on Sunday.
The Portugal international has been one of United’s most improved players this season and he played another key role during the 1-0 win over the Hammers.
Dalot did not provide much of an attacking threat against David Moyes’ side but defensively, he was superb with a number of key headers at the back post.
Over 90 minutes, the 23-year-old made five clearances. He also registered four tackles and three interceptions while winning seven of his nine duels contested.
Dalot has been an undisputed starter at right-back for United this season. He has started every game under Erik ten Hag while Aaron Wan-Bissaka has played just four minutes.
It is quite clear that there is no competition for the position at the moment and it appears a no-brainer for the Red Devils to try and extend his contract expiring next summer.
United have the option to trigger a 12-month option but ideally, they would want to commit the Portuguese to a longer deal amid interest from Barcelona and Real Madrid.
Judging by the recent comments from Dalot, it is most likely that the hierarchy may need to wait until after the World Cup this winter before opening negotiations with him.
Meanwhile, United’s hard-fought win over the Hammers has taken them to fifth in the league standings. They are now one point behind Newcastle United with a game in hand.
The club are making right progress under Ten Hag this campaign. The onus should be to break into the Champions League places in the final two matches before the World Cup.
Stats from SofaScore.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March