Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot produced another promising performance during the club’s 3-0 Premier League win over Brentford on Monday night.
The Portuguese has cemented his spot as the first-choice right-back under manager Ralf Rangnick, and will be hoping to keep his place when Erik ten Hag arrives.
He will have left a good impression on the Dutchman after yesterday’s display where he was particularly impressive with his long-range distribution.
Dalot completed seven of his 11 long balls attempted. One of those found Anthony Elanga on the right flank, who eventually delivered the cross for Bruno Fernandes’ volley to open the scoring.
The right-back completed 88 per cent of his passes against the Bees, but was also solid defensively with five clearances and four tackles. He also won five ground and aerial duels contested.
The 23-year-old showed glimpses of his quality against Thomas Frank’s side, and he could be a player to watch out for under Ten Hag next term if he can improve on a few aspects of his game.
Dalot has shown attacking intent in multiple games for United this season, but the Portuguese has yet to deliver consistent quality crosses in the box. He has not made a direct goal contribution.
He had a strong defensive showing last night, but put pressure on David de Gea with a couple of indecisive back passes. Against quality opposition, he has also been found wanting with his positioning.
If he can improve his concentration in and around his own box, there is every possibility that he could become Ten Hag’s trusted right-back for the 2022/23 campaign and beyond.
Stats from SofaScore.com
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?