Manchester United defender Diogo Dalot could continue from the left-back position in the coming weeks amid the club’s ongoing injury crisis.
The Red Devils are currently missing several defenders with injuries. Lisandro Martinez is out for the long-term with a metatarsal fracture while Raphael Varane has been ruled out for a few weeks.
Meanwhile, Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia are nursing minor concerns and it is unclear whether they would be fit for the upcoming games.
In our opinion, this could directly benefit Dalot, who has been in-and-out of the starting line-up this year.
The Portuguese was an undisputed starter from right-back before the World Cup but since the restart, he has struggled for regular minutes.
With the form of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, he has been left on the bench on occasions but could now have a big role to play amid the injury crisis.
Dalot started at left-back against Nottingham Forest on Sunday afternoon and produced an impressive performance over 90 minutes.
Barring an error with an overhit touch, he was comfortable in his new position and handled the threat of Brennan Johnson with relative ease.
The Portuguese won four out of his six duels alongside two tackles. He capped the display with his maiden league goal for United.
Dalot’s late run into the box was brilliantly spotted by Antony. The 24-year-old made it 2-0 for the Red Devils which finished off the game.
In our view, the £31 million-rated star could continue in the left-back spot for the rest of the campaign.
Shaw is close to making his recovery but manager Erik ten Hag could be tempted to play the Englishman from the left centre-back position.
Ten Hag did so regularly when Martinez was unavailable at the start of the year. He could opt for something similar in the coming weeks.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Sofascore.com
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player