Manchester United confirmed earlier in March that they will return to the United States for their 2023/24 pre-season tour, per The Athletic, and Erik ten Hag must Amad Diallo.
Big things were expected of the 20-year-old after United paid £19 million to take him from Atalanta BC in 2021, but he’s spent more time out on loan than at their Carrington training base.
Diallo has made only nine appearances in all competitions for the Red Devils, scoring one goal with one assist.
The Ivorian international was loaned out weeks after his January arrival, scoring three goals in 13 games for Scottish Premiership club Rangers.
Diallo has impressed during this temporary move to Sunderland this season, netting nine goals and three assists in 32 appearances.
He has been praised by manager Tony Mowbray for his potential, and he believes the loanee can play at the top level. On that basis, Ten Hag should give Diallo the opportunity this summer.
Pre-season will be the perfect chance for the Ivorian to prove he belongs in the first-team squad for 2023/24, but he has to deliver if called upon.
Diallo has made 13 successful dribbles in his last five games for Sunderland, winning ten free-kicks in the process, so he’s proving too hot for Championship teams to handle.
United aren’t short of wide men with Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Antony, Anthony Elanga, Alejandro Garnacho and Facundo Pellistri at their disposal.
However, Diallo is a left-footed right-sided player who may be able to challenge the inconsistent Antony next season.
At the very least, his performances at Sunderland should give Ten Hag food for thought.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd suffer transfer blow as Joshua Zirkzee wants to stay in Serie A
- Man Utd set to battle it out with Tottenham to land Bayer Leverkusen star Odion Kossounou
- Jeremie Frimpong is the most serious target for Man Utd, impressed by his performances
- Ratcliffe outlines three-year plan to knock Man City and Liverpool off their perch
- Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw set to miss the rest of the season
- Is Ashford’s United Arrival Now Simply A Matter Of Time?
- Wayne Rooney identifies Manchester United’s biggest issue right now
- Manchester United invite Gary Neville to help regenerate Old Trafford and surrounding area
- Manchester United’s FA Cup chances – can Hojlund fire the Red Devils to a trophy this season?
- Jadon Sancho struggles in Dortmund’s Champions League draw against PSV