A section of the Manchester United fans have reacted positively to the news that the club have exercised the 12-month extension clause in the contract of Nemanja Matic.
The Serbian has been a regular in the centre of the park during the second half of the season and he has missed just one of the previous 10 Premier League games, which was due to a suspension.
Of course, Matic has greatly benefitted from the injuries to Scott McTominay and Paul Pogba but there are no doubts that he has earned the role after catching the eye with his positioning in front of the backline.
Earlier this month, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed that Matic would ‘100 percent‘ stay with United next term and the same has been revealed in a recent article written by Adam Marshall on the club’s official website.
This has brought about a positive reaction from a large number of United supporters and some of them have taken to Twitter to express their delight over the player’s contract extension until June 2021.
United have exercised the option to extend Nemanja Matic’s contract by another year. This season, he’s played 20 times and we’ve kept 14 clean sheets. A crucial part of the team and has proved many, many people wrong since his return from injury. pic.twitter.com/gFgml6tp4T
— The Man Utd Way (@TheManUtdWay) March 17, 2020
Glad to see we have taken up the option of another year on Matic.
He is playing well again( Bruno effect)? And we need a squad which has depth and where they are all completing for places.
— Lesley short (@MufcLesley) March 17, 2020
Knew Matic would get a new deal. He deserves it
— Bee (@Bee_mufc) March 17, 2020
A good move by United, Matic is 31 years-old & should be still in his peak years. He may have lost a bit of speed but he makes up for that with his vast experience, United need a few old heads in the dressing room to help the young ones on.
— Scholes ?? (@26scholes) March 17, 2020
Matic completely deserved the extension. Not sure about a new deal, but the extension is well deserved. He's been brilliant since January. He could be a great squad player next season and can pass on his experience to the younger players as well. #MUFC
— TheUnitedTalks (@TheUnitedTalks) March 17, 2020
Respect to Matic. Definitely proved me wrong, I thought he’d leave in January but he’s been superb since his return. Deserves an extension. ??
— Flex (@FlexUTD) March 17, 2020
Matic has not earned the same praise as Fred over the past few months but he has gone on to effectively perform his duties from the holding midfield position.
United are said to be keen on extending Matic’s contract beyond next season and that is definitely a worthwhile option as the likes of James Garner and Dylan Levitt seek to breakthrough in the coming years.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin