Manchester United should make a genuine attempt to sign West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice next summer amid his contract stand-off at the London club.
The England international has been one of the Premier League’s best-performing midfielders over recent campaigns and he could leave the Hammers soon amid their lack of progress.
David Moyes’ side finished seventh in the league standings last term, but they have failed to replicate the same form this season. They are currently just one point adrift of the drop zone.
Rice has made it clear that he wants to win trophies and play in the Champions League in future and The Telegraph claim that the midfielder could be sold for £70 million next summer.
The Hammers currently have the option of extending Rice’s contract (expiring in June 2024) by another year, but it is reported that next summer could be the last chance to bank a big fee.
Rice would be a perfect Frenkie de Jong alternative for Man Utd
United were hot on the trail of Barcelona’s Frenkie de Jong for most of the summer transfer window, but the Dutchman made it clear that he did not want to leave the Catalan giants.
Hence, the club should move from the Dutchman. In our view, Rice could be a perfect alternative and his vast Premier League experience should persuade United to make a summer approach.
The 23-year-old has superb distribution skills from the centre of the park. In this season, he has completed over 90 per cent of his passes with an average of five successful long balls.
Defensively, he has also been solid with 2.4 tackles and 1.6 interceptions per league game. Aside from this, the Hammers captain has also caught the eye with his driving runs from midfield.
At 23, he has plenty of room to develop. He is already an elite midfielder and could become world-class at Old Trafford. With more creative players around, his goal involvements should improve.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Nottingham Forest, Kambwala starts
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach