Manchester United centre-back Harry Maguire was the man of the match last night as his side secured a 1-0 victory over FC Copenhagen in the Champions League at Old Trafford last night.
The Red Devils had lost their opening two group games against Bayern Munich and Galatasaray and needed to pick up points against the Danish side to boost their chances of advancing to the knockout stage.
Man United left it late to score, and it was Maguire who redeemed himself with a goal having been under pressure for months to improve his performances.
The England international headed in Christian Eriksen’s cross in the 72nd minute, and under-fire goalkeeper Andre Onana saved a 97th-minute penalty to ensure the hosts picked up all crucial three points.
Maguire took to Instagram after the game to react to his match-winning performance and huge victory, and his international teammates Declan Rice and Jude Bellingham were both delighted for him, taking to the comment section to share how they felt about his display.
Maguire was also brilliant in the Premier League win against Sheffield United on Saturday, producing a composed and robust performance.
He was dominant in the air, winning five of the seven aerial duels he contested and is beginning to impress in Man United colours once again.
The 30-year-old was close to leaving the Old Trafford club in the summer after he had fallen down the pecking order and had been stripped of the captaincy.
However, he could be on the verge of turning things around if he keeps performing as he did on Tuesday night, and it will be intriguing to see whether he can establish himself as a key player under manager Erik ten Hag.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin