Dean Henderson is currently on loan at Nottingham Forest and is due to return to Manchester United at the end of the season, but his long-term future at Old Trafford is unclear.
The 26-year-old has never established himself as a regular and must decide whether to fight for a starting place next season or cut his losses and end a 12-year stay at the club.
The fact he blasted United last year for broken promises suggests a departure is on the cards.
David De Gea is Henderson’s direct competition between the sticks but has an uncertain future as his contract is up this summer
However, United are desperately trying to tie him down to a deal beyond 2023 and he’ll be keeping the 26-year-old out of the side if he stays.
Erik ten Hag may decide he should cash in on Henderson regardless of the player’s intention. He has Tom Heaton and Jack Butland (on loan) as cover for De Gea and might feel the England international deserves regular playing time elsewhere.
Henderson has made just 29 appearances in all competitions for United, conceding 25 goals with 13 clean sheets. He last featured for the Red Devils in December 2021.
He has been loaned out five times in his career and hasn’t even played for Forest since January, so it’s hard to see Ten Hag installing him as his first choice next season.
Henderson, whose deal is up in 2025, has made 20 appearances across the board for Forest but wasn’t in great form earlier in the campaign. He’s currently injured, so the loan move has unravelled.
ESPN say Tottenham Hotspur are showing an interest in Henerson, so he should have options over the summer.
It may be sensible for Ten Hag to cash in while Henderson still has value, rather than keeping an unhappy player in the squad until he runs his contract down.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘He’s unstoppable’: Erik ten Hag defends Man Utd winger Antony
- Fresh injury concerns for Ten Hag as Varane, Fernandes & Maguire could miss Forest match
- Man Utd consider Antonio Silva as ideal candidate to strengthen their defence
- Preview: Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United – stats, team news, line-ups
- Man United players requested Sunday off after Fulham loss
- Incoming Man United CEO Omar Berrada already meeting senior executives while on gardening leave
- ‘He’s available’: Erik ten Hag confirms Casemiro is fit to face Nottingham Forest
- Simone Inzaghi on Manchester United radar as enquiries made over Italian manager
- Eric Ramsay leaves Manchester United to become Minnesota head coach
- Man Utd prepared to listen to offers for Antony, willing to cut their losses