Last year, Barcelona was the only team which played with such flair, they made every other team look low and ugly. This year, another team has emerged, which going back to the tradition of their club started to play free flowing, attractive attacking football – Manchester United.
Yes, the same team which defeated Roma 7-1, but was sadly mauled 3-0 by Milan. From a purist’s perspective, they were the only team which deserved to win the premier league. But are they the team which deserved to win the Champions League, more than anyone else?
No!! A hard No!!!!!
I am not debating, if ACMilan, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Chelsea or the last time champions Barcelona deserved to win the CL. I am just voicing my opinion that Manchester United didn’t deserve to win it more than any of those teams. United possess the attacking threat, which any team can be envious of. The only team that comes that close is Barcelona(Etoo, Ronaldhino, Messi).
United’s keeper is erratic at times, but reliable most of the times. United’s back four is steady (after all they made the PFA defense of the year). But their midfield? In Europe, players are given absolutely no time on the ball. United won 7-1 against Roma, that is because Roma loves to play attacking football too.
But against a team like Milan, where players like Gattuso would barging onto you like a raging bull, you need someone to nullify them. We need a Keano, we need a Owen Hargreaves, we need a De Rossi, we need a Mascherano. If United did possess one quality defensive midfielder in that mould, and if they had played good away from home, they would have been probably challenging for the treble just the way they did in 99.
Then they would have deserved to win both the CL and the league, just the way Barcelona did (They did have Motta, Edmilson, Marquez and Gio Vanni if needed. Didnt they? )
In Europe, we need someone to protect our defense. The strongest name that is linked with United is Owen Hargreaves. Many fans want him desperately because he is English. Nothing wrong with that except the cost on him. He costs 20 million. We get one quality defensive midifielder if we go for Owen Hargreaves. But one is not enough. We need a backup.
Look at ACMilan, they have got Ambrosini, a decent defensive midifielder if they have got Gattuso injured or suspended. Liverpool have got both Mascherano (The way he played the Chelsea game, makes you think what losers West Ham were) and Sissoko. Chelsea have got Makelele, Diarra and Obi Mikel. Barcelona have got Motta, Edmilson, Marquez and Gio Vanni if needed.
To get two defensive midfielders, we need to look at De Rossi rather than OH. Although De Rossi is not as proven as Owen Hargreaves, he definitely has the potential, up there with the Owens and the Mascheranos. Not to forget that he is a world cup winner, which means he definitely has got the temperament too.
He would cost around 12-14 million, which would save around 6 million and we can use that to buy another unproven defensive midfielder who would be a cover if one gets suspended or injured. After all, we are out of CL if we lose one match. Aren’t we?
So we definitely need two defensive midifielders and not just one. If OH is coming, I dont see another DM coming in. But if De Rossi comes in, there is every possiblity we can get a decent DM for 6-7 million. What do you guys think? My defense needs a double protection. It does.
- Sir Dave Brailsford and Jean-Claude Blanc meet Manchester United executives at Old Trafford as Sir Jim Ratcliffe’s 25% acquisition edges closer
- Man Utd showing interest in Borussia Dortmund winger Donyell Malen
- Man Utd confirm Amad Diallo has returned to full training ahead of Bournemouth game
- United boss Erik ten Hag shuts the door on January reinforcement
- Ian Wright wants Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag gone once Sir Jim Ratcliffe arrives
- Roy Keane wants Manchester United to ditch Antony, Raphael Varane, Harry Maguire and more
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after 2-1 win against Chelsea
- Erik ten Hag has another undroppable star in Scott McTominay after Chelsea win
- Sofyan Amrabat produces his best Man Utd display vs Chelsea
- Juventus cool interest in exiled Man Utd star Jadon Sancho due to financial concerns