Manchester United are yet to open talks over a possible contract extension for David de Gea, whose current deal expires at the end of the season, according to ESPN.
The former Atletico Madrid goalkeeper has been a great servant for the club since he arrived at Old Trafford about ten years ago.
The Spanish star has emerged as a vital member of the United squad under Erik ten Hag, but the club have not made him a formal offer.
Despite plans to let second-choice goalie Martin Dubravka leave next summer, De Gea’s future remains up in the air.
United reportedly pay De Gea about £375,000 per week, and they want him to accept a wage cut that will allow them to save about £5 million annually.
Reports have suggested that Ten Hag would be open to letting De Gea leave in search of a modern-day goalkeeper.
De Gea’s ball-playing ability came under immense scrutiny in the first two games of the season. However, he has subsequently found his feet again with improved performances.
The goalkeeper failed to make Luis Enrique’s World Cup squad, but he may feel vindicated after watching his nation lose to Morocco on penalties in the round of 16.
Will United make the first step in keeping De Gea on board?
De Gea has been relatively consistent this season, and he still has many years of elite football in him.
He has appeared 20 times for the Red Devils in all competitions this season, conceding 23 goals while recording nine clean sheets.
Although the 32-year-old may not have a promising future at international level, his club career is still going strong.
The Spaniard deserves a new contract for all he has done for the team. He can maintain his performance for a few more seasons, although it’s unclear whether he will agree to a pay cut.
The United board are showing no intention of offering a new deal to De Gea, as they would prefer to sign a new goalkeeper in January.
Ten Hag has earmarked a few top-class goalkeepers in Europe, including Diogo Costa, Yann Sommer and Odysseas Vlachodimos.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Erik ten Hag hails Harry Maguire for winning November Player of the Month award, joins Ferdinand and Vidic in the elite list
- Man United make ‘enquiry’ for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy, available for less than €20 million
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Bournemouth, Reguilon starts
- Manchester United send scouts to watch Braga vs Vizela with summer target Matheus Magalhaes in action
- Picture: Man Utd defender returns to training but Lindelof out & Rashford doubtful
- Rising from the ashes – Manchester United’s spectacular November revival
- ‘An incredible, good player’: Erik ten Hag on Marcus Rashford ahead of Bournemouth game
- Borussia Dortmund want €30 million or Jadon Sancho as Manchester United eye Donyell Malen, talks scheduled for today
- Erik ten Hag turns down Manchester United players’ request for more days off after complaints over workload and scheduling