The Spaniard was instrumental in ensure United returned to a top-four finish in their first season under Louis Van Gaal, as he produced a number of outstanding saves throughout the season and must now surely be considered among the three best goalkeepers in the world.
De Gea has been strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid in the summer, although he took time to thank the United fans at the award ceremony last night.
“We have the best fans in the world and I want to say thank you to everyone,” he said in his acceptance speech.
“They are always behind us and travel everywhere – it’s fantastic for us. I am young and I try to improve in every training session and every game. Everyone always wants to improve and I think I have improved a lot.”
Louis Van Gaal, who earlier this week said De Gea will not be loved by the fans as much as he is at United, claimed the award was deserved as the 24-year-old had developed immensely this season.
“I’m very proud of you,” Van Gaal told De Gea.
“You have developed yourself more than any other player at Manchester United. I agree with the voice of the fans. Congratulations you deserve it.”
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd