The Spaniard was named United’s player of the season for the second consecutive season but has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid this summer, as the Spanish giants look for a replacement for Iker Casillas.
Hoek, who has worked with Louis van Gaal at Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Holland, believes De Gea can become as good as two of his most illustrious predecessors.
“He is now at one of the biggest club in the world,” Hoek said.
“The moment you are playing at a high level there, you’re great and if you continue to do that, then automatically you become one of the better ones in the world.
“He showed at a very young age – he became 24 this season – that he is able to do the job in all elements of the game, in construction, but also in defence.
“So nothing stands on his way to become one of the best like Schmeichel, like Van der Sar at United.”
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd