The Athletic reporter David Ornstein has revealed that Manchester United are not looking at the prospect of signing Jack Grealish from Aston Villa during the next transfer window.
Grealish has been regularly linked with the Red Devils over the past few months and Eurosport journalist Manu Lonjon recently claimed that the club are close to finalising a transfer agreement for the attacker.
However, in a Q&A session on Thursday, Ornstein dismissed those claims and stated that United could prioritise the signing of a holding midfielder over the 24-year-old attacker.
“Some contacts tell me United are not in for Grealish and are focusing more on a holding midfielder than his kind of position,” he told. “In a normal market, I think Villa would have been looking for around £40/50m if they got relegated, up to £90m if they stayed up. But it’s not a normal market now.
“He will be keen for a big move whether it’s this summer or very soon. Not sure if his lockdown misdemeanour will go down well to potential suitors or Gareth Southgate.”
Grealish has been the main creative force for the Villains this season and he has contributed seven goals and six assists for the west Midlands outfit in the Premier League.
His versatility and age makes him an ideal signing for United during the summer but it appears that the club may focus on strengthening the defensive midfield department instead.
Nemanja Matic, Fred and Scott McTominay have all played in the holding midfield role this season and each of them have had their moments to shine over the course of the campaign.
Still, Matic will be 32 by the beginning of next season and the club could be looking into the future. Of late, United have been credited with an interest in Atletico Madrid’s Thomas Partey.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin