West Ham United manager David Moyes heaped praise on Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea following his stunning Premier League performance earlier today.
The Red Devils returned to winning ways in the league with a 1-0 win over the Hammers, but they had to earn their points. The Hammers piled the pressure towards the end.
Harry Maguire made one crucial block to deny an equaliser for the Hammers, but De Gea was also in excellent form with three key saves – two of those were at full stretch.
Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Moyes said that he was pleased for the Spaniard, who is a great keeper, but was also disappointed that his team could not find the net.
He said via BBC Sport: “We know what a great keeper De Gea is, he was during my time here, and we hoped he wouldn’t save one of those two chances. I’m pleased for De Gea because he is a great guy but disappointed that one of those didn’t go in.”
De Gea shows his quality against West Ham
The 31-year-old had a poor start to the top-flight campaign for the Red Devils, having made goalkeeping blunders against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford.
However, he has since redeemed himself with faultless displays. The Spaniard has revived his sublime form from last season and this should instill more confidence in the backline.
De Gea’s current deal is due to expire at the end of the season, but there are suggestions that he would be willing to accept a significant pay-cut to put pen-to-paper on a renewal.
Ten Hag has yet to make a decision on the Spaniard’s future, but we won’t be surprised if the Dutchman decides to keep him rather than pursuing another young shot-stopper.
De Gea may not possess the quality distribution skills of modern day goalkeepers, but he is a genuine match-winner on his day with his stellar reflexes in goal as seen today.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Manchester United find out FA Cup semi-final schedule
- Man Utd can prise away new ‘Erling Haaland’ for €50-60m this summer
- Victor Lindelof key to unlocking Denzel Dumfries’ switch to Manchester United
- Man Utd in pole position to sign wantaway Barcelona whizz-kid Ansu Fati
- Dean Henderson rejected Erik ten Hag’s proposal to return to Man United in January
- David de Gea turns down latest Manchester United contract
- Pep Guardiola’s comments on Harry Kane should serve as a warning to Man United
- Man Utd face competition from Chelsea and Real Madrid for Goncalo Ramos
- Man Utd star Scott McTominay scores stunning brace in Scotland’s 2-0 win vs Spain
- Manchester United’s Top-10 Highest Earners