David De Gea is set to hold crunch talks with Erik ten Hag over his future at Manchester United.
The 31-year-old is out of contract at the end of the current season. The Red Devils have an option to extend his stay by another year.
However, his £300,000-a-week wages are proving to be a significant block.
According to The Daily Star, the Spanish goalkeeper is ‘planning showdown talks with Erik ten Hag about his future’.
It is understandable why De Gea seeks clarity. He does not want to be left in limbo at this stage of his career.
Ten Hag wants a goalkeeper who can play out from the back.
His possession-based football ideology relies heavily on the ball-distribution skills of the goalkeeper.
De Gea has been a magnificent shot-stopper over the years, winning the Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year award four times.
However, passing is not his top attribute. This is primarily due to the previous managers who didn’t demand that skill from him.
Already into his 30s, it will be too late for him to shape his playing style to the modern way.
As he is one of the top earners of the club, United will benefit by allowing him to leave and increase their transfer budget.
They can use the funds to sign a younger goalkeeper who can serve them for a few years to come.
De Gea is one of the last remaining members of Sir Alex Ferguson’s title-winning side of 2012-13.
United supporters will always have fond memories of him, considering how pivotal he has been for the club over the past decade.
He has appeared for the Red Devils almost 500 times, winning multiple trophies and making numerous top-class saves.
His legendary status will remain intact, no matter if he stays or leaves the club next summer.
- The Latest Man United Transfer News & Rumours
- Napoli ace Kim Min-jae moves out of his house, expected to join Man Utd after military training
- Fabrizio Romano confirms Dean Henderson is close to Nottingham Forest transfer
- Victor Lindelof set to be offered fresh terms by Man Utd, Erik ten Hag wants to keep him
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Leon Goretzka amid Bayern’s pursuit of Declan Rice
- Man Utd step up interest in signing Atalanta sensation Rasmus Hojlund
- Glazers give green light to pursue deal for Chelsea star Mason Mount
- Man United keeping tabs on Chicago Fire midfielder Brian Gutierrez
- Jack Butland completes Rangers medical as Man United exit all but confirmed
- Kim Min-jae ready to say yes to Man Utd, €7m per year deal proposed