David de Gea was in superb form on New Year’s Eve as Manchester United secured a 1-0 Premier League win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on the road.
The fixture has been tightly contested over the past few years and there were no surprises that the scores were level at 0-0 at the half-time interval.
A Marcus Rashford goal in the 76th minute sealed the win for the Red Devils, but things could have been different if not for De Gea’s strong reflexes.
The Spanish goalkeeper has been in fine form for United this term and he made a superb diving save towards his left from a Ruben Neves freekick.
Right towards the end, Raul Jimenez produced a powerful header towards goal but De Gea was on guard to make a terrific reaction save for United.
De Gea was pivotal to the victory in the Midlands and clearly showed why United should finalise a new long-term contract with him in the near future.
The Spaniard’s current deal expires in June next year and the hierarchy have decided against triggering a one-year extension in his £375,000-a-week contract.
Instead of this, they have started talks over a fresh renewal with a pay-cut. In our opinion, United should not have second thoughts over prolonging his stay.
De Gea is still learning his trade of distributing from the back but the Spaniard needs to be applauded for the desire to improve under Erik ten Hag this season.
The €15 million-rated star has averaged more passes and long balls per game compared to last term. He has also been faultless in goal ever since his Brentford display.
United have been fancied to sign several goalkeepers lately including Porto’s Diogo Costa but keeping De Gea and spending big on a marquee striker makes more sense.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd need to pay €100m to sign Eintracht Frankfurt striker Randal Kolo Muani
- Where do Manchester United Under 18s stand in the league table after their latest game?
- Loan Watch: Debuts for Bernard and McNeill, Mejbri bags assist
- Man Utd without six players for Leeds clash after triple injury blow
- Louis Saha backs Man Utd to sign Harry Kane and win the Premier League
- Manchester United vs Leeds United: Premier League preview, team news & predicted starting XI
- Man Utd have identified Victor Osimhen as target with Harry Kane deal unlikely
- Man Utd made £100m bid for Declan Rice last summer, West Ham set fresh asking price
- Man Utd very attentive over Yannick Carrasco’s situation at Atletico Madrid
- Man Utd in advanced contract talks with Diogo Dalot amid Barcelona interest