Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea has received a contract boost with manager Erik ten Hag reluctant to spend a significant sum on a new shot-stopper, Mirror report.
The Spain international has been with the Red Devils for the past 12 seasons, and it was recently reported that he could leave the club when his £375,000-a-week deal expires on June 30.
The 32-year-old has refused to accept a reduced salary of £200,000-a-week, but it appears United could revisit his contract situation with Ten Hag having other priorities in the transfer market.
The club currently have a pre-sales budget of £120 million, and they could add another £100m by offloading players. Despite this, the manager prefers to keep De Gea at the club.
He does not want to make a huge outlay on a new goalkeeper amid his plans to sign a striker with a proven pedigree. He is also targeting reinforcements in midfield and defence.
United could make fresh contract proposal to De Gea
De Gea kept an impressive 25 clean sheets for United in the recent campaign. Out of those, 17 came in the Premier League as he won the Golden Glove award.
The Spaniard made some outstanding saves over the course of the season, but he was also guilty of making four errors directly contributing to opposition goals.
De Gea also looked vulnerable when dealing with long-range shots. He should have done better to prevent Ilkay Gundogan’s winner in the FA Cup final.
These are solid reasons why United should look for a successor, but the final decision depends on Ten Hag, who prefers to prioritise other key positions.
In our view, United could entice De Gea to stay with an improved contract proposal, but it is highly unlikely that they will keep him on his current salary.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com & Sofascore.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions