Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea was critical about the club’s performance following the embarrassing 5-0 Premier League defeat to Liverpool at Old Trafford on Sunday.
The Red Devils went into the game after a stunning 3-2 comeback win over Atalanta in the Champions League and it was anticipated that they would put up a good performance.
However, they were out of the game early on with goals from Naby Keita and Diogo Jota. Things got worse before the break with Mohamed Salah bagging two quick-fire goals.
Salah completed his hat-trick shortly after the interval. United avoided further embarrassment on the day.
They had to play the final 30 minutes with ten men after Paul Pogba’s sending off.
De Gea saved the club’s blushes with key saves, or the final scoreline could have been more humiliating.
Following the game, the Spaniard was fuming. “We play like kids,” he told TV2 via Arilas Ould-Saada.
The 30-year-old has been one of the standout performers for the Red Devils this term.
After a few average seasons, he has looked the player of old with crucial saves that have earned United points.
He was called into action early against the Reds. The Spaniard produced a strong save to deny Roberto Firmino, but the Merseyside outfit were just too good for United on the day.
With the humiliating loss, United are eight points behind league leaders Chelsea.
There was much talk about a title challenge, but that appears a distant possibility now.
United have Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City to face in the league before the international break.
They have another tricky European outing at Atalanta in between those fixtures.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is under immense pressure after three defeats in four league outings.
The hierarchy may seriously consider a change during the internationals if he can’t turn things around in the next two matches.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- 3 possible Frenkie de Jong alternatives Man Utd should pursue
- Man Utd have strongest interest in signing Frenkie de Jong
- Man Utd identify two goalkeepers to replace Dean Henderson
- Man Utd make initial contact for RB Leipzig star Nordi Mukiele
- Man Utd to face Atletico Madrid in fifth pre-season friendly
- Man Utd could make official bid for Christopher Nkunku next week
- Man Utd best placed to sign Pau Torres
- Man Utd target Tyrell Malacia impresses against Roma in UECL final
- Man Utd studying right offer for Alessandro Bastoni
- Should Man Utd move for Chelsea target Josko Gvardiol?