Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea has agreed the framework for a new contract, according to The Telegraph.
The Spaniard has been United’s number one for the past 12 years and the club are open to prolonging his stay next term.
It is now reported that the club have not triggered the extension clause in his £375,000-a-week deal which expires in June.
Instead, they are set to hand a new contract with a significantly lower basic salary. It will include incentivised add-ons.
De Gea has reportedly agreed terms over an initial two-year deal but is waiting approval from Erik ten Hag and United to sign.
De Gea likely to pen new deal soon
The 32-year-old has had another fantastic season with the Red Devils. He recently kept his 17th clean sheet of the campaign to win the Premier League Golden Glove.
The ‘magnificent‘ star has also been prone to making errors but Ten Hag has publicly come in the support of his goalkeeper in the post-match interviews.
In our view, United will certainly extend the stay of De Gea for the next two seasons but they could still consider a long-term replacement for him.
De Gea is obviously gifted with excellent reflexes but he has been prone to blunders every now and then. Meanwhile, his distribution has been inconsistent.
Anderlecht’s Bert Verbruggen could be considered as a future successor to De Gea in United’s goal.
The Dutchman has been dubbed as the new Manuel Neuer for his ability to play as a sweeper-keeper and United could consider him as the next number one.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Kim Min-jae remains Man Utd’s top centre-back target, verbal offer already made
- Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea ready to snub Saudi Pro League offer for Old Trafford stay
- Man Utd target Benjamin Pavard allowed to leave Bayern immediately, price tag revealed
- AS Monaco centre-back Axel Disasi one step away from joining Manchester United
- Manchester United want €20m for Anthony Elanga as RB Leipzig open talks
- Tottenham and West Ham offered chance to sign Man Utd captain Harry Maguire
- Sheikh Jassim submits fifth bid for Manchester United
- Man United monitoring Ligue 1 if they fail to land Min-jae with Maguire due to discuss his future with Ten Hag next week
- ‘Very soon’: Man Utd could move forward with bid for Porto goalkeeper Diogo Costa
- Napoli star Kim Min-jae already home with suitcases ‘ready to go to Man Utd’