Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea is confident of penning a new contract with the club.
The Spaniard is currently in his 12th campaign with the Red Devils and continues to remain an undisputed starter. He has produced countless number of stand-out displays.
Talks are now underway over a new long-term contract beyond the current campaign and De Gea is confident that the negotiations will end in a good way.
He told Manchester Evening News: “We’re still talking. I’m just focused on the game, that’s the most important thing, but for sure it’s going to end in a good way.”
De Gea deserves fresh long-term deal at Man Utd
De Gea was superb between the sticks for United last season but there were doubts raised over his passing ability and movement after manager Erik ten Hag took charge.
The 32-year-old made a poor start to the season with a couple of blunders against Brighton & Hove Albion and Brentford, but he has since been flawless in the Premier League.
Barring a howler against Everton in the FA Cup third round, De Gea has been assured between the sticks with world-class saves – one of those came against Crystal Palace yesterday.
The Spaniard has also been good with his distribution. He has likewise shown more eagerness to get on the ball which was almost non-existent during his previous seasons at the club.
Ten Hag recently described his performance as ‘magnificent‘ and it appears a no-brainer to extend his stay. United have a 12-month option on his £375,000-a-week contract but look set to reward him with a new deal with a pay-cut.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract
- Sheikh Jassim believes new Owners’ and Directors’ Test will not affect his Man United takeover
- Erik ten Hag to make decision on futures of Scott McTominay and Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United’s debt rises to almost £1 billion
- Erik ten Hag wants Andre Onana to provide competition to David de Gea next season
- Preview: Newcastle United vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Man Utd goalkeeper Tom Heaton confirms he is out for a few weeks with an ankle injury
- Man Utd could lose Alejandro Garnacho to international duty in late May
- Bruno Fernandes wins Manchester United’s Player of the Month award for March