Former Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea has reacted after the Red Devils left it late to secure their sixth Premier League win of 2023-24 today.
They ran out 1-0 winners against Fulham at Craven Cottage thanks to Bruno Fernandes’ 91st-minute strike.
The Portuguese was blasted by Roy Keane after Man United lost 3-0 to Manchester City at Old Trafford last Sunday, with the former club captain claiming the midfielder does not deserve to be skippering the side.
Keane said he would take the captaincy off Fernandes as he is not captain material and is the opposite of what you want in a captain due to his negative body language anytime things are not going the Red Devils’ way.
The Portugal international proved his detractors wrong with his match-winning goal today, and De Gea took to the comments section of his Instagram post to take a dig at Keane.
“You are not the right captain,” the Spanish goalie posted as he sarcastically mocked Keane.
Man United manager Erik ten Hag handed Fernandes the armband heading into this season after it was taken off Harry Maguire.
Pundits and former players have continued to question the decision, but the Portuguese will remain the captain as long as the Dutchman remains in the dugout.
He has been an excellent leader on and off the pitch and in the dressing room, and while some people have issues with his frequent emotional outbursts on the pitch, his teammates have no problems with him and he deserves to keep leading the side.
Keane was a no-nonsense captain during his days, but this is a different era and players are no longer interested in being a hardman.
It remains to be seen whether Man United will hire a new manager anytime soon if there are no permanent changes in their fortunes on the pitch, but Fernandes’ position is unlikely to change even if Ten Hag is replaced.
- Newcastle 1-0 Manchester United: Player ratings as awful displays from Rashford and Martial put pressure on Ten Hag
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, 4 changes
- ‘He has to play’: Erik ten Hag confirms Man Utd midfielder could leave in January
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Newcastle, Mainoo returns
- Serhou Guirassy flattered by Man Utd interest
- Erik ten Hag confirms Mason Mount will return to training today
- Stats show the real culprits in Manchester United’s dismal performances this season
- Man Utd very interested in signing Antonio Silva, attentive to his performances
- Man Utd showing interest in signing Serhou Guirassy
- Man Utd in very advanced talks to sign Genoa star Radu Dragusin