Manchester United legend David Beckham has given his support to England international centre-back Harry Maguire, according to The Sun.
The Red Devils defender has been under fire in recent months, and things worsened last Tuesday after his own goal in the Three Lions’ 3-1 friendly win against Scotland.
Maguire has been on the receiving end of jeers by fans having fallen out of favour under manager Erik ten Hag, which prompted Beckham to message him to show his support.
The Man United hero texted the former captain after the game, urging him to prove his doubters wrong.
Beckham also told Maguire to ignore the trolls, praising him for the way he has handled months of ridicule and abuse.
The message meant the world to the centre-back who is expected to be on the bench when the Red Devils take on Brighton & Hove Albion at Old Trafford later today.
Lisandro Martinez and Victor Lindelof did not finish the game against Arsenal due to injuries in the last game before the international break but recovered quickly enough to represent their nations.
Ten Hag is expected to stick with them against the Seagulls, but Maguire could see action if either of them is unable to finish the game.
The 30-year-old was stripped of the captaincy in July as the Red Devils manager wanted someone in his starting XI wearing the armband, and he was expected to leave Old Trafford in the summer.
However, a move to West Ham United fell through and Maguire will now look to prove himself all over again in Man United colours in a bid to force his way back into the first-team.
Beckham knows what it takes to endure heavy criticism after what he went through following his sending-off in the 1998 World Cup.
Maguire will hopefully learn one or two things from him and use that to motivate himself as he looks to work his way back to form and confidence.
- 3 goals in last 4 meetings – Man Utd must be wary of Wilfried Zaha threat on Tuesday
- Barcelona manager Xavi picks Marcus Rashford as one of the most difficult players to stop
- Man Utd suffer big blow with Lisandro Martinez requiring fresh metatarsal surgery
- Man Utd interested in Bayern Munich centre-back Matthijs de Ligt
- Alejandro Garnacho should start against Galatasaray in the Champions League
- Erik ten Hag speaks on Marcus Rashford’s form after Crystal Palace loss
- Manchester United 0-1 Crystal Palace: Player ratings as the Red Devils suffer second successive Old Trafford loss in Premier League
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Hojlund starts
- Lisandro Martinez may require second foot surgery, could be out until December
- Antony pictured arriving at Carrington after Man United approved return