Benfica striker Darwin Nunez is keen to become part of manager Erik ten Hag’s revolution at Manchester United, TalkSPORT reports.
The Red Devils have been frequently linked with the Uruguayan in recent weeks, and it is now reported that they are ‘pursuing’ a summer deal.
The 22-year-old is also eager to become part of Ten Hag’s rebuilding project, but United will have to shell out around £68 million to prise him away.
The club may need to act fast to sign him. Despite their interest, Nunez has not ruled out the option of playing Champions League football elsewhere.
Nunez had an exceptional 2021/22 season with Benfica, registering 34 goals and four assists from 41 appearances across all competitions.
While he was terrific domestically, the Uruguayan also excelled in the Champions League scoring against the likes of Ajax, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Liverpool.
This will have enhanced his reputation further. United have the financial capacity to meet Benfica’s demands, but they also need to bolster several other key positions.
Hence, United may consider negotiating on the overall fee, but can’t afford to haggle over the same, given there is plenty of high-profile competition for the marksman.
After missing out on Kylian Mbappe, Real Madrid could be hot on the trail for him. Liverpool are also admirers, and may enter the mix if Sadio Mane heads for an exit.
The lack of Champions League football is a definite disadvantage for United, but the prospect of a significant salary hike and an assured starting spot could convince Nunez.
Nunez has largely played as a striker for Benfica, but can also operate on the left wing which would be an added boost for United. He bagged 10 goals from just five appearances from the position last term.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest