Girona defender Daley Blind has sent a warning to Manchester United midfielder Donny van de Beek during an exclusive interview with The Athletic.
Van de Beek has been with the Red Devils for the past three seasons, but he has registered just two goals and two assists from 61 appearances in all competitions.
The Dutchman is currently a fringe player in the squad and when asked about him, Blind said that he is a real no.10, who can adapt to new positions if he gets time.
The 33-year-old added that his former Ajax teammate has the quality to be a top player at United, but the club does not wait for anyone.
He said: “Donny is a real No.10 and there are not a lot of teams who play with a No.10 in top football. I think he can adapt to new positions if he gets time. He has the quality to be a top player at Manchester United, but United doesn’t wait for anyone.”
Van de Beek could leave Man Utd next year
Van de Beek was signed during the summer of 2020 after a number of stand-out seasons with Ajax.
He was considered as a box-to-box midfielder on his arrival, but has struggled to adapt to the intensity of the Premier League. He has looked a lost figure on most occasions.
The excellence of Bruno Fernandes has not helped him either. Fernandes has been a consistent contributor of goals and assists from the number 10 role.
As a result, Van de Beek has hardly played from the position. He has got the occasional chance in the Cup games, but has been unable to capitalise on the game time.
The Dutchman is now nothing more than a fringe player. He was the subject of interest from Real Sociedad and Galatasaray this summer, but a deal did not materialise.
In our opinion, the midfielder could receive more proposals in January, considering he has now returned to full fitness after recovering from a long-term knee injury.
United purchased him from Ajax for £35 million up front in 2020. It seemed a bargain at the time, but the Red Devils may struggle to recoup £10-15m from a future sale.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions