Crystal Palace are in direct negotiations with Manchester United to secure a short-term loan deal for Donny van de Beek, reputed journalist Fabrizio Romano reports.
Van de Beek has struggled for regular game time since he arrived at Old Trafford in 2020, and his fortunes have not improved under interim boss Ralf Rangnick.
He has played just seven minutes of Premier League football since the German’s appointment in December. It is quite clear that the 24-year-old is down the pecking order.
Rangnick has regularly used Scott McTominay and Fred in midfield, with Nemanja Matic as the back-up option. He will soon have the services of Paul Pogba following a lengthy thigh injury.
United have four senior midfielders who are preferred ahead of Van de Beek. This could pave the way for his loan exit before the transfer window closes on Monday night.
Several clubs are interested in signing Van de Beek, but Palace are now in ‘direct’ negotiations with United, having submitted a ‘straight loan proposal’ for the Netherlands star.
Van de Beek was keen on joining Everton on loan last summer, but then-manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer blocked the move while offering him assurances of game time.
However, the midfielder barely played under Solskjaer before his dismissal. Rangnick has spoken about his desire to keep him, but he has been a regular unused substitute in recent weeks.
A temporary move would be ideal for Van de Beek. He has been dropped by Dutch boss Louis van Gaal due to the lack of minutes. He has a good chance of being recalled ahead of the World Cup.
Meanwhile, the decision would also suit the Red Devils as they can re-assess Van de Beek’s position in the summer.
Based on the new manager’s plans, they can stick or twist with the playmaker.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Man Utd planning fresh move for Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix
- Man Utd plan to track Andre Onana and Goncalo Ramos in upcoming Champions League tie
- Erik ten Hag provides a fresh injury update on Christian Eriksen
- Three emerging French midfielders Man Utd could sign this summer
- Manchester United to play nine games in ‘crazy’ April schedule
- Erik ten Hag has given go-ahead to sign Goncalo Ramos from Benfica
- Man Utd boss Ten Hag ‘concerned’ about Newcastle time-wasting
- Man Utd ‘first on the list’ for Ansu Fati, Jorge Mendes working on summer deal
- Erik ten Hag confirms double Man Utd injury boost ahead of Newcastle clash
- Man Utd defender Luke Shaw agrees fresh four-year contract