Crystal Palace are planning a surprise move to sign Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson ahead of the transfer deadline, according to The Sun.
The England international has been in the matchday squads for the first two games of the new Premier League season, but he is anticipated to leave the club before the transfer window closes.
Nottingham Forest were fancied to sign him earlier in the summer, but The Sun claim that they were wary of conducting a premature medical that could aggravate his recovery from a thigh injury.
Matt Turner has since joined the club from Arsenal, and it is unclear whether they will revive their pursuit.
It is now reported that by The Sun that Palace have joined the race for his signature. The Red Devils are prepared to consider a loan deal with an option to buy at the end of the campaign.
Palace have two loan spots available for new signings. Henderson could come in to compete with fellow United graduate Sam Johnstone for the number one role with Vicente Guaita set to leave.
Henderson could thrive at Crystal Palace
The 26-year-old had a good loan stint with Forest last season before his thigh injury in January.
He was initially anticipated to return after six weeks, but required a surgery in the end. As a result, he could not play any part during the final four months of the campaign.
Henderson recently seemed ‘convinced‘ that he would rejoin Forest on a permanent basis, but their mindset may have changed with Turner’s impressive start between the sticks.
In our view, Palace would be a good destination for the club graduate if he has no plans to stay.
Johnstone has taken over the gloves from Guaita, but the Eagles could give a higher priority to Henderson due to his proven Premier League record with Sheffield United and Forest.
The Red Devils would have ideally preferred to offload him on a permanent basis, but may have to accept a loan-to-buy option. They will be hoping for a bidding war in the coming days.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘If you are good enough, you are old enough’: Erik ten Hag says Kobbie Mainoo is ready to face Galatasaray
- Valencia and Real Sociedad eyeing potential summer move for Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood
- Erik ten Hag confirms Rasmus Hojlund and Antony are available for selection vs Galatasaray
- Man United handed huge injury boost as Rasmus Hojlund and Antony return to training
- Newcastle United’s home prowess set to test Manchester United’s resurgence
- Man Utd in the front line to sign Joao Neves but Benfica aim to increase release clause
- Preview: Galatasaray vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Sofyan Amrabat’s future at United no longer obvious with Kobbie Mainoo’s emergence
- Man United interested in Leipzig striker Timo Werner
- Stats show Harry Maguire has fared better than Arsenal star William Saliba in defensive actions