Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo is due to return to pre-season training today, but still has his sights on leaving the club this summer, AS report.
The Portugal international missed the recent pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia due to personal reasons. He will now report at the club’s Carrington training base.
The 37-year-old will train ‘under the orders’ of new manager Erik ten Hag today, but AS add that he is still keen on leaving the club with interest from Spanish giants Atletico Madrid.
Ronaldo has returned to Manchester with his super-agent Jorge Mendes, who is scheduled to hold talks with Ten Hag and United’s hierarchy to facilitate a possible departure.
Ten Hag recently emphasised that Ronaldo is a key part of the club’s plans for next season, but the forward is said to be ‘seduced’ by the prospect of returning to LaLiga with Atletico.
United have a big decision to make over Ronaldo’s future
It is widely known that Ronaldo wants to play Champions League football for a 20th straight campaign, and that is the prime objective behind his desire to join Atletico this summer.
However, United are firm on their not-for-sale stance, and it will be interesting to see whether Ten Hag can persuade Ronaldo to stay at United for the forthcoming campaign.
The Dutch tactician obviously wants full commitment from his players, and he would not want to keep the Portuguese if his mind is already on pursuing a fresh move elsewhere.
Over the weekend, The Sun reported that Ronaldo could possibly be allowed to leave on loan such that he can rejoin next season if United are back in the Champions League.
This could be a possible option on the cards. United need to make a quick decision on Ronaldo’s future as they are less than two weeks away from the new Premier League campaign.
Anthony Martial has excelled leading the line in pre-season and is due to start against Brighton & Hove Albion, but Ten Hag may want another top marksman if Ronaldo were to leave.
- Man Utd decide against permanent deals for Wout Weghorst and Marcel Sabitzer
- ‘World-class’ Bruno Fernandes should get captaincy next season without question
- Porto star Diogo Costa wanted by Man Utd, ready to trigger his release clause
- Bruno Fernandes heaps praise on Goncalo Ramos, talks up move to Manchester United
- Feyenoord lining up fresh proposal for Man Utd starlet Amad Diallo
- Man Utd readying big-money offer for Goncalo Ramos but Roger Schmidt hopes to keep him
- Manchester United in 2023/24 – Expectations, Predictions and Betting odds
- Erik ten Hag opens up on striker plans, David de Gea & Harry Maguire
- Marcus Rashford wins two major end-of-season awards for Manchester United
- Manchester United eliminate club crest from third kit for the 2023/24 season