Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has said that he was motivated to have a great season at the club despite the transfer interest over the summer.
The Portuguese was impressive in his homecoming campaign with United last term with 24 goals, but there were doubts whether he would stay without Champions League football.
The 37-year-old was linked with some of Europe’s high-profile teams while there was also interest from Saudi giants Al Hilal. He turned down their huge proposal to stay at United.
Speaking exclusively to Piers Morgan, he said: “It’s true, yes it’s true. But what the press keeping say, the garbage, is that nobody wants me, which is completely wrong. And I was happy here to be honest, I was motivated to do a great season here.”
“But they continue to repeat that nobody wants Cristiano. How they don’t want a player who scored 32 goals last year, with national team [included]?”
When asked about the huge payday from Saudi, he added: “It’s hard, it’s hard. But in the same way, I thought that I was very happy here; that I still capable to score goals.”
Meanwhile, Ronaldo was pressed on whether Arsenal have the credentials to win the Premier League, having made a good start to the season which sees them top of the table.
The five-time Ballon d’Or said that he hopes so, but quickly added that he would like the team to win the title only if the Red Devils are not able to lift the English crown this campaign.
He said: “I hope so. Manchester first, and if not, Arsenal is some team that I like to see play.”
“I like the team. I like the coach. I think they have a good team. And if Manchester United don’t win the Premier League, I will be happy if Arsenal do.”
His stance on his future also seems to be fabricated, considering his agent Jorge Mendes was actively in talks with the likes of Chelsea and Bayern Munich to secure a summer move for him.
Meanwhile, Ronaldo’s appreciation of the Gunners may not go well with some fans. They are the club’s traditional rivals and talking up their league title prospects should infuriate supporters.
- Man Utd have excellent chance to sign West Ham star Declan Rice next summer
- Why Man Utd star should replace Spurs defender in Argentina starting XI
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ready for return after re-watching his 168 games in charge of Man Utd
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner