Manchester United have suffered a big injury blow with Cristiano Ronaldo ruled out of Sunday’s Premier League clash at Crystal Palace.
The Portuguese has been superb in his homecoming season with the Red Devils, bagging 24 goals from 39 outings in all competitions.
However, he has now played his final game of the 2021/22 campaign as he continues to struggle from a recurring hip flexor issue.
According to The Athletic, the £31.5 million-rated star will miss the south London trip alongside Paul Pogba, who is nursing a calf injury.
United have been pretty poor over a number of weeks, but there is still much to play for in the final Premier League match.
The club are currently sixth in the standings with a two-point lead over West Ham United, who have a superior goal difference.
Anything other than a victory at Selhurst Park could see the Hammers leapfrog them if they beat Brighton & Hove Albion away.
In this case, United would relinquish their Europa League spot for the Europa Conference League, which is the last thing fans want.
The club already have a tough task on their hands to sign elite players and dropping to the third-tier European club competition may have a more damaging effect.
Hence, tomorrow’s game against the Eagles is a must-win for United and they will need to find goals from somewhere in Ronaldo’s absence.
The Portuguese’s unavailability is a huge blow for the Red Devils, considering he has netted nine of the club’s previous 12 league goals.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd confirm long-term deal for Zidane Iqbal, Fernandez and Garnacho assigned new squad numbers
- Man United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop closing in on Wycombe Wanderers loan move
- Manchester United join race for Marco Asensio as Ajax put 80m price tag on Antony
- Man Utd to make transfer offer for Denzel Dumfries
- Frenkie de Jong open to joining Man Utd as they near agreement with Barcelona
- Man Utd may need to spend £130m to land Antony and Lisandro Martinez
- Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire were involved in captaincy dispute
- Man Utd ready to battle Chelsea for Matthijs de Ligt
- Man Utd aim to seal Frenkie de Jong deal before Thursday
- Man Utd’s pre-season starts: Erik ten Hag’s demands, returning players and De Jong latest