Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has provided a fitness update ahead of Saturday’s late Premier League kick-off against Aston Villa on the road.
The Portugal international has had a fine comeback season with the Red Devils, bagging 14 goals and three assists from just 22 appearances in all competitions.
He was recently absent for the FA Cup third-round tie against Villa at home with a minor muscular injury but could return for the league game at Villa Park this weekend.
Speaking to Premier League Productions via Manutd.com, Ronaldo said he has been struggling with a minor niggle, and was very optimistic about facing the Villans.
He said: “I’m good. I just have a little touch but, you know, it’s part of my work. You know, we have to feel some pain sometimes.”
“It’s nothing big, and I hope to be good soon. I hope so.
“We will try on Thursday. I will try to train as normal. Let’s see how the body reacts. Fingers crossed. I’m confident.”
United returned to winning ways against Villa with a slender 1-0 win in the FA Cup third round. The display was far from impressive.
Barring the early goal from Scott McTominay, they struggled to assert their dominance, and Villa were the better side in the final third.
David de Gea was again impressive between the sticks and kept a clean sheet to ensure the club’s progress in the Cup competition.
McTominay has been the bright spark this year with two goals in three games, but he won’t play any part against Steven Gerrard’s side.
The midfielder picked up his fifth yellow card of the league campaign against Wolves, and he is suspended alongside Luke Shaw.
Ronaldo has a stunning league record against Villa with nine goals and four assists from just 13 appearances and will relish the contest.
The Midlands outfit registered a surprise 1-0 triumph at Old Trafford in the reverse league fixture, and Ronaldo will be keen to avenge that result.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Crystal Palace in direct talks with Man Utd for Donny van de Beek
- Roma join AC Milan in race to sign Eric Bailly
- Man Utd agree to loan Anthony Martial to Sevilla
- Man Utd favourites to sign Boubacar Kamara
- AC Milan still interested in Man Utd defender Eric Bailly
- Man Utd keeping tabs on Porto winger Luis Diaz
- Man Utd shortlist four candidates to become their next manager
- Juventus and Sevilla exploring Anthony Martial loan deal
- Anthony Martial plays key role in Man Utd’s late win vs West Ham
- Ralf Rangnick reacts to Marcus Rashford’s dramatic winner against West Ham