Manchester United will be aiming for a fourth-straight victory in the Premier League when they entertain rivals Arsenal at Old Trafford on Sunday.
The Red Devils started the season with back-to-back losses, but have since registered three victories on the bounce, two of them away from home.
The 1-0 wins over Southampton and Leicester City were not overly convincing, but they got the job done with a solid defensive resolve over 90 minutes.
Against the Gunners, United definitely need to step up in the final third and in our view, Ronaldo should be tasked with the job of leading the line.
Whether manager Erik ten Hag considers the option remains to be seen but Ronaldo would definitely prove a handful for the Gunners’ backline.
Last season, Ronaldo found the back of the net thrice versus the Gunners with two goals from open play.
The 37-year-old was definitely a cut above the rest and the Portuguese should fancy his chances of scoring if he gets more minutes against them.
Ronaldo came up with an impressive 22-minute cameo against the Foxes last night. He was lively from the off, and nearly found the back of the net.
His audacious overhead kick almost found the back post of the Foxes goal. The Portuguese also delivered a quality pass across the penalty box, but Christian Eriksen could not capitalise.
The £27 million-rated star finished the game with two shots and one key pass to his name.
If Ronaldo were to start against the Gunners, it is more likely that Anthony Elanga will drop to the bench with Marcus Rashford featuring on the left wing.
United have not had the best of records against the Gunners in recent times. They have won just one of the previous seven Premier League meetings.
Last season’s game at Old Trafford was an open contest where United prevailed with a 3-2 win. We could see another high-scoring fest if both teams adopt an attacking approach.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and SofaScore.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr