Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo continues to be linked with a reunion with Sporting Lisbon, according to Sport (today’s edition, page 23).
The Portuguese star has had a frustrating 2022/23 campaign with the Red Devils, having spent most of his time on the bench for the Premier League games.
He did start in the recent 1-0 win over West Ham United, but there remains speculation that he could leave the Red Devils when the transfer window reopens.
A free transfer has been talked about with his contract expiring next summer and Sport claim that Sporting could emerge as a possible destination for him.
Ronaldo recently bought a 2,700 square feet mansion close to Lisbon. It is reported that he could join Sporting if they were to make the Champions League last 16.
Ronaldo’s reunion with Sporting seems unlikely
It is well known that Ronaldo wanted to leave United over the summer in order to play Champions League football for a 20th straight campaign in his career.
However, Sporting may not be a lucrative option for him. The club have a weekly payroll of £220,000 which is not even half of Ronaldo’s current wages (£515,000 weekly).
Even if United release him with a mutual agreement, the £18 million-rated star is unlikely to take a pay-cut of around 10 times just to reunite with his boyhood club in Lisbon.
Yes, he may have the chance to play Champions League football again if Lisbon progress beyond their group today, but there is a high possibility that they will exit in the last 16.
If Ronaldo were to leave Old Trafford, it could be for a club that has a genuine chance of competing for the elite European title. No one seems interested in him at the moment.
Hence, we see Ronaldo staying with United until the end of the campaign. If the club qualify for next season’s Champions League, the decision to keep Ronaldo could be left to Erik ten Hag.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Capology.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr