Manchester United have confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo has agreed to leave the club with immediate effect after a mutual agreement.
The Portuguese gave an explosive interview to Piers Morgan earlier this month where he was disrespectful towards manager Erik ten Hag and the club’s owners.
It was widely expected that he would be axed after the derogatory comments and the club have now confirmed his release, less than 18 months after his homecoming.
In a statement on the official website read: “Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect.”
“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.
“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”
Manchester United need a replacement in January
United have been fancied to sign a right-back during the winter transfer window, but their priorities may change after the sudden turn of events involving Ronaldo.
Ronaldo’s interview with Morgan came out of the blue. There was no way back for the Portuguese after his comments and United have made the right decision to offload him.
They must now secure a replacement in January. The hierarchy may struggle to sign a marquee striker midway through the season. The onus could be on a low-cost signing.
Barcelona’s Memphis Depay could be a realistic option in our view. If United are willing to spend a reasonable fee, a move for Porto’s Mehdi Taremi could be on the cards.
United currently have Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial as the only strikers. The latter has suffered three injuries this term. The club definitely need another marksman.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd should sign Youri Tielemans
- Anthony Martial could stay at Man Utd despite being ‘transfer listed’
- Thomas Zilliacus could consider buying Liverpool if Manchester United bid fails
- Man Utd could avoid signing Houssem Aouar despite journalist claim
- Newcastle United in advanced talks to sign Man Utd’s Head of Young Recruitment David Harrison
- 100% aerial duels & 100% take-ons won: Man Utd should target Amadou Onana
- Wout Weghorst opens up on life at Man Utd
- Fresh date confirmed for Man Utd’s postponed fixture, one more game rescheduled
- ‘Serious option’: Raphael Varane opens the door to retiring at Man Utd
- Man United owners will consider selling minority shares if revised bids don’t impress them