Manchester United have confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo has agreed to leave the club with immediate effect after a mutual agreement.
It was widely expected that he would be axed after the derogatory comments and the club have now confirmed his release, less than 18 months after his homecoming.
In a statement on the official website read: “Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect.”
“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.
“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”
Manchester United need a replacement in January
United have been fancied to sign a right-back during the winter transfer window, but their priorities may change after the sudden turn of events involving Ronaldo.
Ronaldo’s interview with Morgan came out of the blue. There was no way back for the Portuguese after his comments and United have made the right decision to offload him.
They must now secure a replacement in January. The hierarchy may struggle to sign a marquee striker midway through the season. The onus could be on a low-cost signing.
United currently have Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial as the only strikers. The latter has suffered three injuries this term. The club definitely need another marksman.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Man Utd working on deal to sign Yann Sommer
- Glazers decide to drop semi-annual dividends after £225m summer spending spree
- Manchester United’s World Cup Quarter-Finalists – Predictions & Betting Tips
- How the playing surface at Old Trafford is created
- PSG president open to signing Marcus Rashford on a free transfer
- De Gea: Manchester United yet to open talks over a new contract
- Man Utd target Goncalo Ramos now valued at €80m by Benfica
- Man Utd have advantage over Real Madrid in pursuit of Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd duo should be sold in January after woeful displays against Cadiz
- ‘I will think about it’: Cody Gakpo opens the door for Man Utd transfer in January