Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo could start against Sheriff Tiraspol in the Europa League on Thursday after putting aside differences with manager Erik ten Hag, The Daily Star report.
The Portugal international has had a mixed relationship with Ten Hag this campaign and he was recently suspended for the Chelsea game after the unsavoury incident against Tottenham Hotspur.
The 37-year-old refused to come on as a late substitute and decided to head down the Old Trafford tunnel in the 89th minute. There were no surprises that he was disciplined by the manager.
Ronaldo was spotted back in training on Tuesday after clear-the-air talks with the manager and it is now reported that he could start in Thurday’s Europa League encounter against Sheriff at home.
Ronaldo remains a key player for Ten Hag
Ronaldo has been ever-present for United in this season’s Europa League campaign. He has contributed one goal and one assist, but much more is expected from him.
The £18 million-rated star has got into some wonderful scoring positions this term but his finishing has not been up to the mark. He will be hoping for a change in fortunes tomorrow.
Ten Hag recently said that he counts on Ronaldo and he definitely has a role to play over the coming weeks at least as Marcus Rashford is the only other fit striker in the squad.
United will have a big decision to make on Ronaldo’s future in January. If they plan to release him, Ten Hag will no doubt want a quality replacement pursued by the board.
Otherwise, Ronaldo could stay for the remainder of his contract until the summer, considering Anthony Martial has been plagued by regular injuries so far this season.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Chelsea attacker Christian Pulisic is destined for Man Utd move
- Liverpool join Man Utd in race to sign Cody Gakpo in January
- Man Utd sale could be completed before end of season
- Real Madrid linked with shock move for Man Utd star Bruno Fernandes
- Man Utd star Raphael Varane leads France in dramatic game against Tunisia at the World Cup
- ‘I think he’s turned it around’ – Paul Scholes names Marcus Rashford as stand out player so far at Manchester United
- ‘It’s quite an easy question’ – Former Manchester United midfielder names Casemiro as his ideal partner
- Gary Neville says Marcus Rashford should be a guaranteed starter for England vs Senegal
- Man Utd handed blow with Benfica set to hand new contract to Goncalo Ramos
- Cristiano Ronaldo closing in on January move to Al Nassr