Just when you think that the Beeb is playing it straight with you, they throw you a wicked curveball that throws you off-balance. A friendly reminder that you can’t trust anyone in football.
With shades of TribalFootball and Daily Mail, BBC Sport starts off with a statement that reads:
Manchester United are considering an Â£8m summer transfer bid for Hearts and Scotland goalkeeper Craig Gordon, BBC Sport understands.
And after a brief mention about Martin O’Neill watching the Hearts-Kilmarnock game and scouting players, it breaks into a re-hashing of old material.
It seems that after Arsenal signed their new keeper and with Chelsea ruling out big-money / big-name signings, United are top of everyone’s list for MSU – making shit up.
However, let’s be realistic.
Do United need Gordon?
He’s experienced and he’s quite good. Haven’t seen too much of him so can’t say that he makes the same mistakes as Foster and Kuszczak but I’d suppose that he couldn’t be ‘worse’ than them.
I like Foster, and I like Kuszczak, but if Gordon is to come in and take over from EVDS eventually, I’m all for it.
Are United really after Gordon?
The goalkeeping spot, along with our defensive line, isn’t a worry for next season. However, if Gordon is available and considering that United have the cash to spend (having saved 25m last summer), I don’t see why not.
And that’s why this rumour is so enticing – Gordon will make the team better, even if it means that our current 2nd / 3rd choice keepers will be out of the starting XI.
However, I don’t think United is moving for CG. If they really are, I’d support it, but not until we’ve brought in at least another winger.
- Erik ten Hag wants Man Utd to sign Cody Gakpo in January, Rafael Leao is the alternative
- Man Utd great candidates to sign Atletico Madrid star Joao Felix in January
- Harry Maguire impresses for England in World Cup stalemate against USA
- Man Utd have Jonathan David on their radar, Lille would sell him for €50m
- Four Irish Players United Could Sign Next
- Man Utd ready to step up chase for €60m-rated Cody Gakpo
- Man Utd join Barcelona in race to sign midfielder Martin Zubimendi
- Key night for Manchester United trio as England eye World Cup progress
- Saudi government would back private sector bids for Man Utd
- Manchester United’s ‘winter’ friendlies and what Erik ten Hag can achieve with them