Manchester United will have seven players involved in this week’s World Cup semi-finals, with Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Ashley Young and Phil Jones representing England, Maourane Fellaini and Romelu Lukaku with Belgium, and Paul Pogba playing for France.
Victor Lindelof’s Sweden and Brazil’s Fred were sent home over the weekend as their countries fell at the quarter-final stage. David de Gea will not be at the pre-season training today as Spain were eliminated in the second round and has therefore only just started his summer break.
Pre-season training starts later today at our Carrington complex and 23 of the squad will be participating, with the 10 aforementioned names joining up later in the month.
Jose Mourinho himself is back from scouting at the World Cup to be in charge of the training. The 23 players who will be involved on the first day of training are confirmed as:
Goalkeepers: Lee Grant, Joel Pereira, Kieran O’Hara, Sergio Romero
Defenders: Eric Bailly, Daley Blind, Diogo Dalot,Matteo Darmian, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Demetri Mitchell, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, Axel Tuanzebe, Antonio Valencia
Midfielders: Joe Garner, Ander Herrera, Juan Mata, Scott McTominay, Andreas Pereira
Forwards: Tahith Chong, Angel Gomes, Anthony Martial, Alexis Sanchez
Today’s training will be a chance for 19-year-old summer signing Diogo Dalot to introduce himself to his new teammates, whilst youngsters Kieran O’Hara, Demetri Mitchell, Joe Garner and Tahith Chong are also among the squad.
We will then fly out to America on 15 July to participate in five pre-season matches against Club America, San Jose Earthquake, AC Milan, Liverpool, finishing with Real Madrid on 31 July.
Our 2018-19 Premier League campaign starts against Leicester City at Old Trafford on Saturday 11 August.
- Preview: Burnley vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Burnley boss Vincent Kompany lauds ‘extremely capable’ Erik ten Hag ahead of Man Utd clash
- Kie Plumley announces he has joined Manchester United
- Erik ten Hag should start Alejandro Garnacho vs Burnley after lively cameo
- Man Utd midfielder Christian Eriksen delivers frustrating display vs Bayern
- Manchester United goalkeeper Andre Onana owns up to his catastrophic error against Bayern Munich
- Bayern Munich 4-3 Manchester United: Player ratings as Andre Onana and Christian Eriksen disappoint massively
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Bayern Munich, Pellistri starts
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Sheikh Jassim reluctant to raise their bids for Manchester United following their poor start to 2023-24
- ‘Would have signed anything’: Brazilian midfielder reveals chat with Sir Alex Ferguson convinced him to join Man Utd