It’s official! Manchester United have announced the signing of Alexis Sanchez from Premier League rivals Arsenal.
The biggest transfer story of the year has finally been completed as the Chilean has officially arrived at Old Trafford, with Henrikh Mkhitaryan going in the opposite direction.
Sanchez had been in the final six months of his contract with the Gunners with no plans to extend it beyond the end of this season. Arsene Wenger did not want to lose the player on a free transfer over the summer so made a deal with Jose Mourinho which sees Mkhitaryan going in the opposite direction.
Reports last week suggested that Alexis Sanchez had agreed a four-and-a-half-year, £27 million-a-year deal to join us.
Speaking to MUTV today, Sanchez says he is thrilled to join the club:
“I am thrilled to be joining the biggest club in the world. I have spent three-and-a-half wonderful years at Arsenal and I bring with me very positive memories of that great club and its fans. The chance to play in this historic stadium and to work with Jose Mourinho was something I could not turn down. I am very proud to be the first Chilean player ever to play for United’s first team and I hope I can show our fans all around the world why the club wanted to bring me here.”
Alexis Sanchez has been one of the best footballers in the world over the past eight years or so; first in Serie A with Udinese before joining Barcelona ahead of the 2011-12 La Liga season. The forward spent three seasons at Camp Nou where he scored 39 goals in 88 league games for the Catalan club.
In the summer of 2014 Barcelona sold Sanchez to Arsenal in a £35 million deal. Over the past three-and-a-half-years at the Emirates he has been excellent for the North London club, scoring 60 goals in 122 Premier League appearances, mostly from out wide.
Now we anticipate Jose Mourinho getting the best out of him for both the rest the current campaign and the remainder of his time at Old Trafford. He could make his debut as early as this Friday’s FA Cup fourth round tie at Yeovil Town.
Welcome aboard Alexis!
We are delighted to announce the signing of @Alexis_Sanchez from Arsenal.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) January 22, 2018
- Confirmed Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Alejandro Garnacho’s market value skyrockets but Man Utd unlikely to cash in on prodigious forward
- Manchester United midfielder Sofyan Amrabat was hours away from joining Liverpool this summer, set to join Sports Entertainment Group
- Jadon Sancho deactivates Instagram account following exile from Man United facilities
- Sir Jim Ratcliffe restructuring his offer to buy Man Utd
- Phil Jones studying to become a sports director and doing his coaching badges with Manchester United
- Jorge Mendes spoke to Man Utd regarding Joao Felix before Barcelona move
- Alejandro Garnacho has big point to prove vs Crystal Palace tonight
- Predicted Man Utd line-up vs Crystal Palace, Garnacho starts
- Man Utd watching Javi Guerra every game, classify him as a top player