Manchester United concluded this season’s Champions League group stage with a trip to Valencia this evening.
We have already secured our passage into the second round and we would require three points in Spain this evening matched by Juventus failing to beat Young Boys in order for us to top the group.
With a trip to Anfield on Sunday in mind, Jose Mourinho has rotated much of the team, as expected.
The two teams for this evening’s game have been confirmed as:
Sergio Romero; Antonio Valencia, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Marcos Rojo; Fred, Marouane Fellaini, Paul Pogba; Juan Mata, Romelu Lukaku, Andreas Pereira
Substitutes: Lee Grant, Ashley Young, James Garner, Ander Herrera, Jesse Lingard, Mason Greenwood, Marcus Rashford
Jose Mourinho has made eight changes from the weekend as Sergio Romero makes only his second appearance of the season, having previously played in the EFL Cup versus Derby County back in September. In front of the Argentine is a centre-back partnership of Phil Jones and Eric Bailly. Captain Antonio Valencia makes his return to the starting lineup at right-back, with Marcos Rojo on the left of a back four.
Paul Pogba starts in midfield as promised by Jose Mourinho, whilst Fred makes his third start in the Champions League this season. They are joined by Marouane Fellaini in the middle of the park.
We think Andreas Pereira may face the side he spent last season on loan at as a left winger this evening, with Juan Mata and Romelu Lukaku making up the front three.
Marcus Rashford, Ander Herrera and Ashley Young are among the substitutes. Exciting youngster Mason Greenwood is also named on the bench.
Juame Domenech; Cristiano Piccini, Ruben Vezo, Mouctar Diakhaby, Toni Lato; Carlos Soler, Geoffrey Kondogbia, Dani Parejo, Denis Cheryshev; Santi Mina; Michy Batshuayi
Substitutes: Neto, Ezequiel Garay, Francis Coquelin, Daniel Wass, Kang-in Lee, Ferran Torres, Rodrigo
Valencia have been under-performing in La Liga this season and will be dropping into the Europa League in continental competition in the New Year.
Marcelino is lining up in a 4-4-2 formation for the hosts.
Former-Manchester United target Carlos Soler starts in midfield for the Spanish side, whilst 2018 World Cup star Denis Cheryshev plays down the left wing. Chelsea loanee Michy Batshuayi starts up front, supported closely by Santi Mina.
Another United target, Goncalo Guedes, misses out through injury.
- Paris Saint-Germain are in transfer talks with Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford
- Man Utd want three more signings before transfer deadline
- Report claims Manchester United told to pay £21 million for Sasa Kalajdzic
- Signing of Adrien Rabiot will determine James Garner’s future
- Adrien Rabiot one step away from joining Man Utd
- Brentford v Manchester United: Preview, Team News & Predicted Starting XI
- Manchester United reportedly considered signing £50 million Douglas Luiz from Aston Villa
- QPR closing in on Ethan Laird loan deal
- Big boost as Frenkie de Jong agent has agreement with Manchester United ahead of blockbuster deal
- Would rejected ETH transfer have done better than Fred / McTominay against Brighton?