Manchester United are looking to book our place into the second round of this season’s Champions League this evening with a victory at home to Young Boys matched by Valencia failing to win at Juventus.
We were 3-0 victors over the Swiss Super League champions back in September with goals from Paul Pogba (2) and Anthony Martial.
The two teams for this evening’s game at Old Trafford are confirmed as:
David de Gea; Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Luke Shaw; Nemanja Matic, Marouane Fellaini, Fred; Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial
Substitutes: Sergio Romero, Eric Bailly, Andreas Pereira, Scott McTominay, Juan Mata, Paul Pogba, Romelu Lukaku
Jose Mourinho has made six changes from the weekend. Phil Jones partners Chris Smalling in central defence in the absence of the injured Victor Lindelof. Antonio Valencia returns to the starting lineup for the first time in eight weeks to captain our side. Luke Shaw is back from suspension to play at left-back as Ashley Young is given a breather.
Nemanja Matic continues to start in front of the back four and is partnered by Marouane Fellaini and Fred this evening, with Paul Pogba and Juan Mata dropping to the bench from the weekend’s starting lineup.
Another player dropping to the bench is Romelu Lukaku after the Belgian striker only returned from a little knock on Saturday. He will be flanked by Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial as Alexis Sanchez doesn’t make the matchday squad once again.
David von Ballmoos; Kevin Mbabu, Steve von Bergen, Mohamed Ali Camara, Loris Benito; Djibril Sow, Jean-Pierre Nsame, Michel Aebischer, Sandro Lauper, Miralem Sulejmani; Roger Assale
Substitutes: Marco Wolfli, Leonardo Bertone, Moumi Ngamaleu, Christian Fassnacht, Ulisses Garcia, Leo Seydoux
The visitors appear to be lining up in a 4-5-1 formation with Roger Assale the only player in the Young Boys’ matchday squad to have scored in this season’s Champions League.
Jean-Pierre Nsame and Michel Aebischer make their first starts of this season’s competition in midfield. Former Ajax and Benfica left winger Miralem Sulejmani will be up against Antonio Valencia. Former Newcastle United youngster Kevin Mbabu starts at right-back for the Swiss Super League champions this evening.
Young Boys have taken just one point from their four matches so far this season and defeat this evening would see them eliminated from European competition altogether this season.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup