Manchester United finish their 2017-18 Premier League season at home to Watford at Old Trafford on Sunday.
Our 0-0 draw at West Ham United on Thursday guaranteed a second place finish whilst the Hornets haven’t played since ending their seven-game winless streak with a 2-1 win at home to Newcastle United last Saturday.
Jose Mourinho will have next Saturday’s FA Cup final against Chelsea at Wembley Stadium on his mind so we were already expecting a whole host of changes for our season finale against Watford.
The boss was able to confirm as many as SEVEN of the starters against Watford at his pre-match press conference.
Goalkeeper David de Gea will be rested in the Premier League for the first time this season. The Spaniard confirmed the Premier League Golden Glove award with a clean sheet at the London Stadium on Thursday and will be rested with the FA Cup in mind. Sergio Romero, who will be hoping to play for Argentina in the World Cup over the summer, has been confirmed as our starter. The 31-year-old has made two appearances in the Champions League, four in the FA Cup and three in the EFL Cup so far this season.
In defence, Jose has confirmed that both Eric Bailly and Daley Blind will start. We expect the latter to play as left-back. Bailly has not started since our 3-2 win at Manchester City at the beginning of April, but did come on in stoppage time midweek. It will be the Ivorian’s 11th Premier League start of an injury-plagued season.
Michael Carrick had already been confirmed to start this game. The 36-year-old played 24 minutes in our loss at Newcastle back in February – his only prior Premier League appearance this season. It will be his 464th appearance for the club before retiring at the end of the season.
Jose Mourinho has also confirmed the attack for us as Juan Mata, Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial all start. We expect Mata to be on the right, Martial on the left and Rashford in the middle of a front three on Sunday.
If reports are to be believed then this could well be Anthony Martial’s final Premier League game for us. The French international is widely reported to be offloaded over the summer, with Juventus the favourites to land the 22-year-old. This should mean Marcus Rashford starts as the striker as he’ll essentially be our backup to Romelu Lukaku next season unless we make a signing over the summer.
- Jadon Sancho reunion would be appealing for Borussia Dortmund but there are reservations
- Manchester United to assess fitness of three players ahead of their Premier League clash with Crystal Palace
- Daley Blind sends warning to Man Utd midfielder Donny van de Beek
- Man United plan contract talks for rising star Hannibal Mejbri
- Sofyan Amrabat only wanted Man Utd this summer, eyes permanent stay
- Roy Keane sends message to Jadon Sancho after Man Utd exile
- Manchester United’s under-21s suffer 8-1 thrashing against Bolton Wanderers
- Man Utd have fresh solution at left-back with Sofyan Amrabat
- Alejandro Garnacho reacts to Hannibal Mejbri’s performance against Crystal Palace
- Casemiro delivers masterclass performance against Crystal Palace in Carabao Cup